Welcome :D

Features:

No Word Count ♦ Multiple App Choices ♦ Subaccounts ♦ Many Species ♦ Room to Expand ♦

Staff

Nashira - Site Creator.
Contact via PM or AIM: erilearp.

You can have multiple tab contents on the same page, with only one copy of the CSS and JavaScript files.
You can also open a tab from a link anywhere on the page.

Open Tab 2.

You can also open a tab from a link anywhere on the page.

Open Tab 2.

Information Menu

Author Topic: [Private] A night of nerves  (Read 16719 times)

Description:

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
[Private] A night of nerves
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:03:59 PM »
It was early evening when Ailla found herself at the door to her future wife's chamber, her hand poised over the door. She took a deep breath. She had come alone, but for the guards that insisted on following everywhere, though the lingered a few doors back which left only Ailla to be framed in Ailish's view, when she opened the door. Ailla knocked, solidly though her silk gloves wouldn't thank her for it.

Her hair was down in loose, very red ringlets that were scented softly with some flowers and spice perfume, her make up light, but accentuating her face gently. The dress she had chosen, in the end, was a long white halter neck whose neckline wasn't too revealing, the dress belted with red, and around the bottom hem of the dress as well. Small crystals sewn in a pattern down her bodice and fading off onto her skirt.

She looked like a princess, perhaps, far overdressed.

'My Lady?'

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
Re: A night of nerves
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »
Ailish had managed to unpack, though her meagre belongings looked rather pitiful in the huge space of the wardrobe and dressers.  It was a way of keeping busy, as Ailish had never been particularly keen on idleness. 

A half finished letter to her youngest brother is left on the table: it's a missive about the beauty of the city, and the lavishness of the rooms provided.  Really, it's all the things an older sister would write to a younger brother, trying to reassure him.  There are a few lines about how to best look after a particular pet, a cat, but that's about as truly personal as the letter gets.

But that letter is now unattended, when she answers the door, getting her first look, in the flesh of her future wife.  In contrast to Ailia's own dress, Ailish's is simple, variegated shades of green, loose, and flowing.  It suits her, in its simplicity, but pales in comparison, looking almost cheap.

That particular fact cannot be helped, so Ailish steps back, given Ailia admittance into the room.  The smile on her face is genuine, as is her compliment.  "You look beautiful, My Lady."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »
Ailla took a moment, just watching Ailish. Their clothing was lives apart... but then so had their lives been, until recently. Until now. She the Queens cousin, and Ailish from one of the lower houses. Still, Ailla blushed slightly. She should have known better, but her only solace was the surety she could look good for her betrothed, because she couldn't promise life here to be good or beautiful or easy or even calm.

She stepped into the room when invited, making a motion for the guards to stay put where they where. 'Thank you... You may call me Ailla.'

Her mouth felt oddly dry, she was not an unworldly person, in fact she was arguably the most worldly amongst the nobles that kept court here, if it could be called that without the presence of actual royalty. 'You are beautiful, yourself.'

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
"Of course, please call me Ailish," she confirms, and her slight country accent making the "a" long and smoothing out the "sh."  Ailish had assumed, in public, the more formal titles would be expected, but she was uncertain when in private. At least that's now sorted without asking.

Of all the organization of the room, actual conversation topics are a bit harder to organize.  So, Ailish is going to revert to the country manners, of getting one's guest to sit down, and to offer them something.  She pulls out a chair, "for you," but does not wait for Ailla sit, before crossing over to the lowboy, where a servant had delivered some small nibbles.  As she moves, her dress moves with her, the lightness of inexpensive material, rather than finer weaves.

"Would you like anything?"

Yes, she's far more comfortable with the country manners.

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:59:39 PM »
She took her seat when asked too, watching, still, unsure what to make of any of this other than the other woman being nice. Ailla wondered how she would fare if one of the ladies cornered her. Or Melisande's mother. She'd have to ask her friend if she was coming to visit any time soon, and hopefully keep her away. For now at least.

'Thank you.' she took a small biscuit, sitting it on a handkerchief she had in her hidden pockets, but she put it aside for now.

'How were your travels? I hear you came alone, if I had known I would have sent someone, to make sure you were safe, well cared for.'
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:00:06 PM by Nashira »

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
How Ailish would fare would have to be a surprise for Ailla to discover, some time in the future, but for now, she will have to deal with all the niceness Ailish has to offer.

"You didn't need to send anyone.  I didn't feel unsafe.  I know a good many of the families whose lands I passed through.  We've bartered with most."  The best thing about the Argall reputation was that opened a number of doors.  "And I was lucky with my choice of inns.  The landladies took me in like I was one of their own."  Then again, it also helped that the news of her betrothal got out. 

Ailish doesn't see any danger, where there quite possibly could've been some.  The idea of anyone seeing her as a political target would never have crossed her mind, and that's how little political knowledge she has.  "The last inn had about a dozen or so children running about, so it provided it's own entertainment."

Sitting down across from her intended, she looks her over. Ailla is extremely beautiful: the type Ailish might've fancied from a distance at home.  Then again, she was too practical to let crushes go too far. 

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 03:22:30 PM »
'There are those who would pay many a piece of gold to have the last Voss dead, or those connected to her.' These are the things Ailish must learn to remember, lest all their lives be in peril for it. Or more, hers, Ailla and Melisande had been here for a long, long time now and knew how to play even if they didn't like it so much. Or, well, Ailla didn't. 'I am glad nothing happened to you on my account, however.'

'Is there anything you would like to ask? About me, or the city, or anything, really?' Ailla fingered at a pouch hidden in her pocket with the broach she had gotten Ailish when she was coming back from temple. She would give it to her, in a while, but there was so much to say and no easy way to work out how to get to know the woman she was to marry.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:40:09 PM by Nashira »

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »
"I'm not a Voss. I'm an Argall. What if you decided to break the contract? It is within your right." She's anything but accusatory, more practical and matter of fact. "I knew most of the families, as I said. Nor did I flaunt the reasons for my travel, or the route. We do have robbers along the roads."

She puts her hands on the table, palms up, a gesture of conciliation. She doesn't want to have a disagreement at their first meeting.

"It was an adventure, my Lady, and I haven't had many opportunities for those."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 12:42:31 AM »
'Not by blood, no.' but since when had that mattered when you were to wed? Still, she did get here safely so Ailla guessed it didn't matter over much now. What was done was done. She reaches over and rather gingerly, for Ailla, takes Ailish's hand, soft fingers brushing over her palm.

'I don't mean to belittle your ability to keep yourself safe, my l... Ailish. I don't. But it is dangerous, much more so than when I was your age.' because she had to be younger than Ailla, she hadn't asked Mel but there was a few years different at least. 'And though it is only after thought, I do find it distressing that harm could have come to you for my sake, before you ever even arrived.' It would have been safer, once upon a time when her Mother's and sister were still around to rule the roost, because there were still more than one Voss then, and they seemed all but impossible to wipe out. Now she was a bullseye waiting for the strike of death.

Not that she wanted it to occur.

'Forgive me?'

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 04:40:26 AM »
Ailish takes the gesture as an opening, trying to lightly catch Ailla's hand.

"I'm not cross. No forgiveness is necessary," in an attempt to appease, she smiles easily. "I'm not supposed to be a burden or worry.  I'll just have to be more aware here." Ailish will keep any worry of not really knowing how to protect herself to herself.

"So you are the last Voss?  Do you not even have any brothers? Cousins?"

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 04:50:54 AM »
She allows it, the touch something to focus on other than the doubts in her head and the knowledge that she was surely not the sort of woman that ought to be wed, that it could only end in tears for her wife, though she would try to not let it be so. Goddesses help her she would try her hardest, and that was all she could offer. That was all she had.

'None, on either of my mothers sides, my father is not a Voss... for obvious reasons. There was my sister but...' well most everyone knew how that had gone, Duchess Voss, died in childbirth to her first born, and the child itself was stillborn. She swallowed, licked her lips. 'It was only she and I, my mother's didn't seem inclined, or maybe capable of having more. I suspect they didn't think anything would go wrong. But life is not an abider of well laid out plans.'

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 05:14:38 AM »
"What of your mother's wife?" If there is a disappointment, it's well buried. Without a male Voss about, she wondered of the possibility of children: bearing them herself, that is. It's not the Argall name that needs to be passed on.

There is a light squeeze. Trying to forge a bond with someone who was but a name, description, and position, before knocking on the door, is difficult enough. With her lack of knowledge about the city, she knew of the previous duchess's death, but not intimate enough to offer any platitude that should appear genuine.

"Excuse my questions. Tell me to be quiet if I'm an annoyance."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 05:52:28 AM »
'No, they were all older than her, I believe, many died when I was younger, or before that. She was an unexpected child, years after her siblings.' she squeezed her hand gently in return. 'There is the Queen, she is my cousin, though she is a Teague.'

She inclines her head slightly, which means a few red ringlets fall on her face. 'Ailish, I asked you if there was anything you wanted to know. I asked. And more than that, you are to be my wife, my lady. My partner.  That more than earns you the right to ask things of me.'
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:53:28 AM by Nashira »

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 10:21:40 AM »
The ringlets are charming.  Ailish likes how a little bit of  disorder, even a fallen ringlet, suits Ailla.

"You've extended the courtesy, but I think asking them all at once would drive the most patient mad."  She grins and laughs a little. It's a light, and clear laugh. One of the habits her mother always tried to dull, was the constant asking of questions.  She smiles a little more, the grin being the tiniest bit mischievous.  "Then what of your mother's wife?  Your sister's?  Is Melisandre intended for anyone?  Do you enjoy riding?  What is your favourite colour?  How do you manage to arrange your hair so finely?"

It's all meant in fun, the barrage of questions, yet still things one should know about her spouse. 

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 10:48:01 AM »
The laugh brightened Ailla's face, made her smile more genuine and she gently rubbed Ailish's hand in her own. 'You have a lovely laugh.' she said softly before she considered the questions with a smile, though slightly sad. 'She died when I was seventeen, they went within weeks of each other, there was a harsh sickness that winter that neither priestess nor healer could rid them of, and the gods did not see fit too.' so much of her past was littered with the dead, and so many of whom were family she loved.

'Duana... well she offered to marry me, she already knew the ways around here, and she was a good woman, is a good woman. But I found I couldn't abide it. I love her, but she is not a woman I could take to bed with me, I look at her and I see my sister on her childbed, pale as the snow I've never actually seen. Melisande has no intended, or rather we were supposed to be each others but we could not, we were too much like sisters by the time we were of age.' There was also the fact that she intended to set Melisande up with someone she could actually love, romantically, if she was given half the chance. 'I enjoy riding, and hunting, I'm a trained swords woman though it's hardly of any use when people are terrified of giving you a scratch. My favourite colour is red, which is just as well considering my house and my hair, which is done by my lovely handmaiden, whom I'll introduce you and your hair too sometime.' meant in fun or not, she answered them all, smile never leaving though it did fade a few times.

'And what of you? Siblings? Favourite colour? Pastime?'
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:09:57 AM by Nashira »

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »
Ailish's laugh is one of her best qualities, at least her mother, with a mother's love, always said so.  "That's kind of you to say, Ailla."  The name still sounds a bit foreign to her, like a word in another language she just can't get her tongue around.

At least her impending nuptials weren't going to have a third member.  It would be difficult enough here without having to deal with the extra rules that comes with other lovers.

The rest of the information is filed away in Ailish's organized mind.  If there's one thing Ailla better learn quickly is that her bride to be has an excellent memory.  Fortunately, there isn't the time to mull it over right now, as Ailla's just hit on one thing the two women have in common.  "Riding?  I'm considered quite the horsewoman at home.  It helped to raise a few.  I used to have this beautiful filly named Kalad."  She stops there, trying not to over share.  "I look forward to being able to ride with you, once I find a proper mount."  Then again, she's not exactly sure how she's going to get one, unsure of what she can and cannot have in the city.

"I have six siblings, three older sisters, and elder brother, and two younger brothers.  My youngest brother has promised that if you don't like me, he'll marry me."  Pause. "He's five, so I believe it to be a genuine offer."  It's to this brother, the letter she was writing prior to Ailla's arrival.

"And I like green: summer green, when everything's thriving, but you might say it's a bias towards house colours as well."  She doesn't love green.  She doesn't have a favourite colour.  If it appears in nature, she likes it.

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 11:51:46 AM »
Not for now, though there would be a time when lovers would have to be discussed. However, even though sex was surely among Ailla's favourite topics, she was hesitant to begin down that line of questioning so soon so it barely even came to her mind to mention. 'Then we should go riding together sometime soon. you can pick your own horse... is the filly still at your family home?' she asked, curious. Wondering if she could purchase it from them and bring it for a gift, if she liked it so much.'

She smiles brighter, laughed, shaking her head slightly. 'I'm sure it was, but we must tell him he can't have you for his wife, when you're already taken. Which you will be, unless you grow sick of me in between then and now.' She lifted Ailish's hand and kissed her knuckles softly, already growing fond. Melisande was right, she wasn't such a terrible match though they didn't seem to be too alike, that may well have been a good thing.

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »
"Yes, she is.  My brother has also promised to take care of her as if I never left."  Her youngest brother, born so late that she felt as much maternal, as she does sisterly towards him.  "She'll have a foal of her own in about six months."  Kalad is a beautiful horse, but not one with the pedigree that most here would have.

Feeling like she's passed some sort of text she didn't know she was taking, Ailish laughs again, though this one a little quieter and sweeter.  "He'll be terribly disappointed.  He might even duel you for me.  He's particularly skilled with his slingshot," by particularly skilled, she means doesn't break things when he plays with his small toy.

With the kiss, it gives her a bit of confidence, as Ailish has brought what is a rare gift, but she doesn't know how it will be received.  "I brought you a gift, if you would like it."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »
'I'm sure he will, he sounds like he cares for you, and would for anything you cared for as well.'  She could understand, a little, being the youngest though she was always spoiled and babied, but she could understand the love of a sibling, the admiration. 'And I'll be sure to learn how to duck, then, I'm sure he'll be quite fearsome.' the mental image, at least, is certainly amusing.

'...I would like anything you desire to give me, Ailish. I brought you something on my way home from temple today, actually. It's not much, though.' By Ailla's standards, anyway, when she produces the small pouch, inside it there is a broach shaped like a rose, in red gems.

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
Ailish is cautious opening the pouch.  She would be one of those people always careful opening gifts rather than tearing into them, and always will be.  It's a reverence for gifts. 

By Ailla's standards it might not be much, but Ailish's eyes get larger at the sight of it.  "It's beautiful." She turns it over in her hand.  It's heavier than one would expect.  "It's like you."  She may not explain that statement, as it's one of those moment when something slips out.  They're rare.

"I'm afraid mine will rather pale in comparison."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 01:38:42 PM »
Ailla put it down to the colour of the stones, or the flower on her own sigil more than anything else. 'I'm glad you like it, I wasn't sure... oh and please, I'm sure whatever you brought will be lovely in it's own right. The amount of gems or whatever else in a gift isn't where it's worth comes from... other than money wise, but you do understand what I'm trying to say, yes?' she certainly didn't mean to outshine any effort, or gift Ailish desired to give her. The biggest gift, after all, may well have been in coming to Myrica to wed the fire kissed duchess. While it gained Ailish prestige and power, it was a lot to learn when you hadn't grown up on it, it was not something to take lightly. Not a gift to spit on when Ailla had so desperately needed a wife who wouldn't marry her for her title or to take it from her.

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 02:11:52 PM »
Her gift is currently behind one of the curtains.  It's a small seedling, and doesn't look like much, at the moment.  Coming back to the table, Ailish places the small seedling in it's simple clay pot, almost in the middle of the table, but a little closer to Ailla.

"I don't know if you've been told, but I'm a Shain." Religion needs to come up quickly, in case there are problems.  "And one of the gifts we can give to our goddess, is this."    She can't sit, not sure how it will be taken.  "It's the Camlan tree.  They're rare, almost wiped out by a blight --" She stops talking, thinking a botany lesson isn't exactly the purpose of this.  "We have a small, healthy grove of them on our land.  We give them to others of our faith, as a sign of togetherness -- we are wherever the trees grow.  I thought," Ailish hopes the reasoning makes as much sense to Ailla as it would to another Shain. "I thought it would be a nice way to show our togetherness."

She takes a breath, knowing that wasn't as well said as she wanted, but it's a small sign of nerves.  This is the woman she may spend the rest of her life with, and it's rather momentous.

"It also has the most beautiful flowers in the fall.  We use their bloom as a sign to begin the harvest."  If Ailla finds Ailish's simple faith silly, at least there's a practical reason to keep the tree around.  In her own religion, it's considered a great gift.

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 08:48:32 AM »
'It wasn't, no.' To be perfectly honest, she hadn't asked. It didn't matter to her unless her future wife would want to set her ablaze for her own beliefs, or sit around telling her she was going to end up strung out in the underworld. Simply because that got old, extremely fast.

She reached out when the pot was placed on the table, and very gently brushed her fingers over it's young leaves. 'It's a beautiful, very thoughtful way to show our togetherness. Thank you, Ailish.' the smile that follows her words is genuine, though the gift doesn't mean as much to her as it might have if it were offered to Ailish, it still matters, and she stands, moving from the table and holds her hand out for her future bride.

'You are gift enough on your own, but it is beautiful, as is it's bringer.' she leaned over and pressed a soft, chaste kiss to the corner of her lips. 'Would you perhaps care to take a stroll with me, to one of the court yards? There's one, sort of unnatural because it's higher in the castle, but my gardeners have gotten things to grow there and there is a beautiful view...'

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »
Shains are peaceful by nature, given their usual interests in the natural world.  Ailish is devout, but like everything in her life, she has her stance on things, but does not feel the need to force them upon others.  She's confident enough in her faith not to need others to agree with her.  Eventually, she will need to find the altars that should lie just outside the city, but that can wait, for now.

As the gift is well received, there's a moment, where a little tension is released from her shoulders.  Neither her gift nor her religion seems to have brought about any issues.  Thus, when Ailla holds out her hands, Ailish is quite happy to take them.

The kiss surprises her, and she can look at her future wife closely, intimately close.  "I would be very happy to have you show me the gardens. I would prefer having you show me around."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:19 AM »
'Then I'll show you the court yard, maybe a couple of them... and where my rooms are, should you want me for anything. Then we could go to the hall, sup together, unless you're not hungry by that time.' Without letting go of Ailish's hand, she walked toward the door, opening it for her and waiting for her to pass through before she did, as well, closing it behind.

'And don't mind the guards too much, Melisande doesn't like it when I send them away,  even within the private areas of the castle, though no one has tried to kill me here yet.'  which rather implied someone had gone for her head elsewhere, but that was neither here nor there in her mind. Her own safety was of less concern than that of those around her.

So said she. Everyone else disagreed.

'You'll probably end up with one or two yourself, for which I apologise but well. Things around here have been... I'll tell you later.' there was an implied in private because the walls had ears, even if they never tried to see her dead. Yet.

* Forum Staff

Nashira admin Nashira
Site Creator

* Recently...

No posts were found.