Welcome :D

Features:

No Word Count ♦ Multiple App Choices ♦ Subaccounts ♦ Many Species ♦ Room to Expand ♦

Staff

Nashira - Site Creator.
Contact via PM or AIM: erilearp.

You can have multiple tab contents on the same page, with only one copy of the CSS and JavaScript files.
You can also open a tab from a link anywhere on the page.

Open Tab 2.

You can also open a tab from a link anywhere on the page.

Open Tab 2.

Information Menu

Author Topic: [Open] a rumble of protest  (Read 10599 times)

Description:

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Tamus Goldwyne

  • Human
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
[Open] a rumble of protest
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »
Weary from his journey to Myrica, Tamus wanted nothing more than to purchase a few simple conveniences and find a room to pass the evening. Come morning, there would be many duties to attend to, not the least of which was introducing himself at court. His family did possess a house here, used only on those occasions where trade at the port city meant a long investment of time. While the families of Voss and Goldwyne were not feuding, they were not friendly either, and a professional courtesy was stretched thin under certain tax laws.

All in all, he would be glad to be left about his business here in Myrica. His intention was to conduct his business quietly, and leave just as quickly as he could manage. The future nuptials of the Duchess was a celebration he sought to avoid. Still, it would not do to arrive empty handed, tomorrow.

He slipped into a shop that held some promise, dresses and finery and such. Not paying much mind to the gathering crowd in the street, that is, until the angry people being to get louder. Mostly women, it seemed.

Offline Ailla Voss

  • Human
  • ****
  • Posts: 252
  • Karma: +1/-1
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:46:43 PM »
Of course it was mostly women, that could be said for, well, most things. And though she doesn't spot him, there's a rather distinct little red head peeking around a rack of blouses, out through the windows of the shop. Serves her right, really, for leaving her guard at the entrance to this part of the city, though they would surely come soon anyway, one would hope. While Ailla wasn't too worried about herself, she was worried about Ailish, who at present was trying on another dress, just as Ailla backed away and turned around.

Bumping right into him. Of course one might have to have a store the size of a palace not to run into him. 'Pardon me.' she blinks, then, confused. 'Do I know you from somewhere?' so many pretty people in her life, so little time.

Offline Ailish Argall

  • Human
  • ***
  • Posts: 215
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »
A blond head peeks around the rack when Ailla speaks. She says nothing, and won't until identities are established, but she is a presence, otherwise.

In her hands are a couple of dresses, one, a light mint green, for her, and a pink one, for one of her sisters.

Thus far, it's been an outing that's been, if she can use the word, normal.

Offline Tamus Goldwyne

  • Human
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »
Of course he recognizes the infamous red head. His smile is polite, if a bit tense. "Duchess. I believe you are remembering a time thirteen summers ago. At the duck pond."

Tamus had been much thinner then, despite years of training already. His unruly limbs betrayed him then in a most memorable sense.

His gazed flickered over to the slighter, blonde, who must be the rumored other bride to be. He nods with less stiffness, acknowledging her there.

"...Tamus Goldwyne." He may not yet be a Duke in his own right, in fact, it is very likely that he will never take his place as heir to the house of Goldwyne. If his scheming cousins have much to say in that.

Offline Ailla Voss

  • Human
  • ****
  • Posts: 252
  • Karma: +1/-1
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:23:34 PM »
'Yes, I remember. my cousin was most amused because I kept teasing you instead of him for once.' Not that it was especially harsh teasing, it was almost fond considering how tense their families were whenever confronted with each other. 'I heard about your second mother, I'm very sorry.' that much is sincere, and she had sent them a gift, though no amount of those could bring back the dead. If only, Ailla would fill whole kingdoms with them.

'That is the Lady Ailish of House Argall, though I'm sure you've already heard, especially if you walked through that... mob.' she turned and looked back at them, briefly, frowning. Someone to perilously close to putting a stone through a window. 'I'm afraid you've come to my fine city on a bit of a bad day.'

Offline Ailish Argall

  • Human
  • ***
  • Posts: 215
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 03:47:01 AM »
"Sir," Ailish nods her head in greeting, as some shop hand relieves her of her load. She watches carefully, to try and discern the relationship.

There's a noise outside, which distracts her, and she frowns. "I'm afraid today is my fault." She doesn't jest, as this isn't something to make light of. The anger confuses her. She can understand the nobility's issues, but she would be far more sympathetic to those not so fortunate.

Offline Tamus Goldwyne

  • Human
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 07:33:28 AM »
The sympathies are not too surprising, and they are welcomed with a softening of Tamus' expression. "Thank you again for the gifts." His second mother had been fond of her gardens, and many nobles had sent rare additions to her collection upon hearing of her illness. At least she did have time to enjoy them.

What does surprise him, is the willingness of the small woman to take blame for the unruly nobles outside. Tamus shakes his head, already scanning the store for a back exit. "I am certain that you have done nothing to warrant this, Lady Ailish." Which is in part, instinct, and in part just good manners to say.

"Though, I would not cut short our conversation, may I suggest that you two attempt an escape before this becomes an ugly scene?"

Tamus had really hoped to avoid confrontations in another's city. Against the wishes of the store keeper, he takes hold of the closest display shelf to the door and begins dragging it over to create a barricade.

Offline Ailla Voss

  • Human
  • ****
  • Posts: 252
  • Karma: +1/-1
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »
'Ailish, don't be silly, it is not your fault. If we must place blame it is mine, though more truthfully I imagine it is my oppositions fault.' though speaking of opposition, didn't his family generally not like hers for reasons Ailla had never worked out? And here he was. Though, she was wondering if he'd go to the bother of pretending to help them if he caused the problem outside. Still, there isn't much to do about that and she hands the shop keeper some gold for her trouble.

'Not a bad idea, you best come, too.' rioters seldom discriminated when it came down to it.

Offline Ailish Argall

  • Human
  • ***
  • Posts: 215
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »
Being called silly is an extreme rarity in Ailish's life.  In fact, she can't remember being called as such in the last few years.  Thus, Ailla's quick dismissal earns the briefest look of surprise.  Ailish hasn't done much to be known by the public.  It's more difficult to convince those to protest, if they truly know the person they're protesting about.  She's hardly objectionable, when it comes to personality. She's anything but the flash, and opulence of most of the nobility she's met here.

Still, there is no time to debate the point.  It would only be an odd matter of pride, to prove she is right, and there isn't the time for that.  Later, she can talk to Ailla about starting some more official duties even before their wedding.

Ailish makes a move of what might look like the door, but is really the window.  Pulling back a sash, a thick, velvet drape falls, making the room darker, but at least preventing the crowd from seeing exactly where they are.  Turning to the assistant who helped her, "How many exits are there here? " 

Offline Tamus Goldwyne

  • Human
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:26 AM »
The reasons were strongly tied into trade routes and general policies that limited the Goldwyne's ability to expand it's exporting freely. Nothing that was cause for bloodshed. There were other houses that earned that kind of ire from his family. Just as the house of Voss had it's particular enemies as well.

By his natural inclination, Tamus would rather stay and fight. However, the idea of a swarm of angry noble women was not the kind of opponent he typically preferred. He nods his agreement to follow. "Or a way onto the roof?" Thinking that soon the growing mob may begin to surround the building.

"This may be a test of how well you know your city, Ailla Voss." Approaching the Duchess he pitches his voice lower, so that she could only hear. "Can you think of a place to hide, and the quickest path to get there?"

The shopkeeper may be entirely trustworthy, but limiting information was the surest way to keep it safe.

Offline Ailla Voss

  • Human
  • ****
  • Posts: 252
  • Karma: +1/-1
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 12:11:40 PM »
It's still not her fault, the nobles that would have caused this aren't mad at Ailish, they're made at Ailla for turning their daughters away, multiple times and often in public and then agreeing to marry some noble from the poorest yet still noble family one could easily find.

'Luckily for you, extremely well. In fact I could do it blindfolded and backwards. the city guard should be on the rioters in a moment so we should be find to leave through the back.' the shopkeep shows them an exit, and sure enough no one has gotten to it yet, so Ailla slips out. she doesn't mind a fight, either, but the people doing this aren't the ones who really deserve the sword on the belly. Though she doesn't have her full sword, she does lift her dress enough to grab a rather large dagger, or perhaps a small sword that was strapped to her thigh, under her dress.

'This way.' she waits for Ailish but then is planning on heading between another row of shops.

Offline Ailish Argall

  • Human
  • ***
  • Posts: 215
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 12:31:22 PM »
Ailish follows, not wanting to hold up the escape.  The dagger's a surprise, and she still has no idea who this other man is.  He may know Ailla, and Allia may be accepting his help, but that doesn't mean Ailish has to trust him.  She gives him a brief assessment, but there isn't time for much more.

There's a crash, and Ailish cringes.  The poor merchant's had the windows to the shop smashed.  She says nothing, nor makes any noise, to avoid being found.  At least there's one advantage from working in nature, learning not to make noise, and disturb things.

Offline Tamus Goldwyne

  • Human
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »
There is a common saying about gift horses that Ailish may want to remember, especially when someone is doing his best to see that no harm comes to them.

Ailla's prediction about the city guard is not far off, and Tamus is tempted to break away and see if his assistance may be necessary there. The temptation is set aside in favor of seeing through the original task. Though self appointed, he feels somewhat duty bound to make sure the Duchess and her future bride find a safe place.  The further away from the chaotic sounds now taking over the shop, the more Tamus wonders what he's gotten himself into. He can move quickly through the allies, some being a tight fit at times. Broad shoulders do not always make for convenient escapes.

Not native to this city, nor overly familiar with it, he'll become somewhat lost in the shuffle. It's going to be another whole adventure, just to track his way backward.

Offline Ailla Voss

  • Human
  • ****
  • Posts: 252
  • Karma: +1/-1
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »
The shop keep would be well compensated, though the riot wasn't exactly Ailla's idea of a good days fun. Ailla takes Ailish's hand and makes sure to keep an eye on Tamus, lest he wander around a corner and never be seen again. That would cause a feud that Ailla frankly doesn't have time for.

Ailla leads them out onto a long and winding road, but then slips around beside a house, where oddly enough there is a well locked by magic trap door. Ailla pricks her finger with her blade and lets the blood fall onto the surface, and it opens onto a stair well and a long corridor.

'You don't rule a city forever and not have ways around.' in the distance, there was the sounds of the riot, armour clashing against boxes, furniture, bodies.

Offline Ailish Argall

  • Human
  • ***
  • Posts: 215
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 01:22:04 PM »
Ailish holds on tightly, not wanting to either be lost in the fray, or be separated from Ailla.  Along the way, she looks up to see if anyone's watching from the roofs, but sees nothing. 

Once, she looks back again and the nameless man.

With the opened trap door, Ailish wastes no time stepping into the corridor.  The sound of something loud, and explosion in the next street over -- not large, but it stops her.  "We can't go."

Offline Tamus Goldwyne

  • Human
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 08:25:43 PM »
The danger may not have been on the roof, but it was still there and very real. The explosion from the next street masked the approach of a distant figure.

"We must go." Tamus responds back to Ailish, but his attention is otherwise caught when the cloaked person raises a cross bow at them. The target could be any of the three, but mostly likely it is an attempt at Ailla's life. It's an automatic reaction that has Tamus reaching for the Duchess and pulling her close just as the shot is fired. A stinging pain shoots through his arm, the arrow small, but either poisoned or magic'd to create a deadly reaction. Not instantly, for that he is grateful.

The assassin, failed in it's charge, runs off rather than make a second attempt. Tamus takes one step to go after, but knows that pursuit will be impossible. Dizziness and blurred vision already inhibit his abilities.

Without treatment soon, that feud may still come to pass.

Offline Ailla Voss

  • Human
  • ****
  • Posts: 252
  • Karma: +1/-1
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »
'We must go, don't argue wi-' that Tamus had backed her up she was grateful for, and though she missed the assasin until he turned to run because she was looking at Ailish, what she doesn't miss is Tamus pulling her close, or the arrow that hits him and the way he seems off balance almost instantly, though he was only hit in the arm.

She moves and slips under his other arm to help him down the stairs and pulls the door down behind them once they're far enough down the stairs. 'Ailish, the passage only goes to the castle, the other end isn't sealed unless I seal it and I haven't. Run, tell the guards, send someone for the healers. I'll keep walking him to the castle. That arrow was poisoned or something.' and he may have saved her life, an act she would never take lightly.

Offline Ailish Argall

  • Human
  • ***
  • Posts: 215
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »
Ailish does get a good, though brief look at the assassin.

As much as she feels she should help those hurt by the explosion, with the injury here, it takes precedence. Doing as she's told, without concern for grace or propriety: there isn't the time for either, she run along the passageway. When it's all but too dark to see, she runs her hand along the wall, to keep right.  If anyone looks, to run faster, she's left her shoes behind.

The door to the castle is heavy and it takes a few tugs to get it open. Finding a guard takes a minute or two. It's clear some have taken the Duchess's absence to be an opportunity to relax.

When she does wrangle a guard to fetch the healers, she returns to the tunnel door to either wait for Ailla and the man, or lead the healers to them.

Offline Tamus Goldwyne

  • Human
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »
Leaning somewhat heavily on Ailla, it is most likely his own weight that slows them down. Tamus blinks as he puts one unsteady step in front of another, the hall getting dark and darker until he cannot tell if that is it's natural lighting or if that is another symptom of the arrow.

"I have had welcomes in many places that have been less than warmly received, but this is the first I've been shot for my visits." The low laugh, practically into Ailla's hair, belies any kind of resentment his words might imply. Though it may take a near death experience to earn a glimpse into Tamus' warm humor, it's there for her to see clearly.

"Your Grace, if I may humbly submit a complaint."

This time his shoulders shake with suppressed laughter.

Offline Ailla Voss

  • Human
  • ****
  • Posts: 252
  • Karma: +1/-1
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 09:25:41 PM »
'I think I am in need of submitting one, too, for I do not like to welcome my guests so.' his breath is warm on her skin, and she is simply glad for the proof that he yet breathes. If his weight is a bother, she shoulders it without complaint. 'I promise to make it up to you, so you find your visit without complaint.' her voice is soft, warm and genuinely kind.

'I rather liked you when we were small, I would not have to die on account of myself.' as the walk, she reaches up and feels his forehead, and it burns. It makes worry flash in her eyes, but the dark shield it from his sight. 'I suppose I owe you quite a bit now. Thank you.' she keeps talking in the hope of keeping him doing so, if he cant talk they've still got time. The walk can't be too much longer.

Offline Ailish Argall

  • Human
  • ***
  • Posts: 215
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »
It isn't much farther, particularly when three guards and a healer will take Tamus's weight off her shoulders, literally.  They will try to take him up the stairs, as long as he's agreeable.

Ailish stays back, still quiet, and watches everything go on, and her eyes dart back and forth between Ailla and the man.  When Ailish is frightened, she's even quieter, as she is now, looking to her fiancee to give whatever orders are necessary.

Offline Tamus Goldwyne

  • Human
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »
Nearly unconscious might be more accurate.

Tamus lost track of time, last remembering the darkness of the secret corridor, when he next opened his eyes it was to a much brighter room. The details were difficult to determine. Focus coming only with a great deal of effort.

"-was rather fond of you, as well."

But that is likely a conversation lost to time. Tamus struggles to sit up, feeling healthy, if somewhat sore in his arm. The healers here must do a fine job of repairing their patients. He may not be up to another long journey so quickly, however, he has no doubt he will be fully recovered.

Offline Ailla Voss

  • Human
  • ****
  • Posts: 252
  • Karma: +1/-1
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »
Likely, though she would have recalled, it's just Ailla seems to have fallen asleep with her head on the edge of the bed and the rest of her awkwardly on some chair she'd pulled over, exhausted from worry and helping him after he saved her. The voice does stir her, though, and she pulls herself up better to look at him when she realises he's awake. Sleepy eyed and concerned, she reaches to check for fever.

'You had us worried for a while there.' her, particularly, and not just because it'd be a kick in the trousers politically if he died.

Offline Ailish Argall

  • Human
  • ***
  • Posts: 215
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Ailish has waited as well, but she hasn't slept.  Instead, she's sitting very upright, watching both of them, and keeping everyone, other than the healers, from coming into get a glimpse of the aftermath of the riot.

While she's rather disheveled, she's calmly taking a sip of water, though she's still not said anything, after the man was brought to the Ailla's room.  She's kept the others at bay though a wave of the hand, or a finger to the lips.  At least as the intended for the Duchess, she has precedence in Ailla's bedroom.

Offline Tamus Goldwyne

  • Human
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: a rumble of protest
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
His fever is all but gone. Only a lingering flush of warmth is left to tell of the near poisoning. "No cause to worry now." He's impressed that the Duchess and her bride have stayed with him. He can count only a hand full of other nobles that also might show such loyalty, especially to an almost stranger.

Which is not to say that Tamus has few friends of his own, though most are numbered among the various military forces.

"It may be wise if the tale of this little adventure doesn't stray to my mother's ears." It's said with some gentle amusement, but meant very seriously. Not only for Ailla's sake and the relationship between their families. But also for his own family's sake, Tamus worries that his parents would not react well to the news that they nearly lost their only child so soon after loosing their beloved wife.

 


* Forum Staff

Nashira admin Nashira
Site Creator

* Recently...

No posts were found.