Welcome :D

Features:

No Word Count ♦ Multiple App Choices ♦ Subaccounts ♦ Many Species ♦ Room to Expand ♦

Staff

Nashira - Site Creator.
Contact via PM or AIM: erilearp.

You can have multiple tab contents on the same page, with only one copy of the CSS and JavaScript files.
You can also open a tab from a link anywhere on the page.

Open Tab 2.

You can also open a tab from a link anywhere on the page.

Open Tab 2.

Information Menu

Author Topic: [Open] Time for the feast.  (Read 7702 times)

Description:

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
[Open] Time for the feast.
« on: July 21, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
The wedding was... well it went quite well considering how the day was going, it was happy enough, though Ailla's smile had faltered once or twice when she looked for Jael and she wasn't to be found.

The feast, however, was going much better, there were drinks and good foods of all kinds around, bards singing songs, about them, no less, and a great many happy well wishers greeting them and giving their blessings. Even though Ailla's food tester kept stealing their plates before they could take a bite of anything, it really was quite a lovely afternoon all in all. The dancing was beginning, too.

Only Ailla didn't feel overly like dancing today, and still, she turned to her bride and smiled warmly. 'Would you like to dance?'

Offline Melisande Banik

• Human
    • View Profile
Re: Time for the feast.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
Melisande had given the brides her well-wishes with a smile that hadn't quite reached her eyes. Time away from her conversation with each had caused a growing irritation with both; however, her dark gaze lingered on Ailla. She could smile and smile and convince everyone else - except for those who knew her best. At least except for Melisande, someone who claimed to - and did - love those smiles. Ailla might call them cheap and said they come easy, yet Melisande knew the differences. It was likely because they came so easily, because she was an observer of all matters Ailla, that she could tell the difference. There was a finer, heart-breaking edge to her smile. One that almost caused Melisande to turn a vicious glare upon Ailish, upon herself - because she should have gone to see her before the ceremony (what kind of friend didn't?) but she managed not to. It did, however, cause her to realize even more sharply that Jael wasn't there and what that meant. Melisande hadn't wanted to assume the worse. Now she was.

Her eyes had to be kept adrift and away to keep from falling on the not-so-happy couple. It was likely that no one else saw it, expect for those who knew them best. No one else being the entire court. Because she doubted a few would spare whispering about it if they had. There were always a handful without decorum. That would dare to do so at the very thing. Melisande kept watch as best she could and allowed herself to be distracted when she felt she was being obvious.

Distraction seemed to come in more dances than her feet should be able to take and more wine goblets that should be allowable to one person thrust into her hands.

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 03:58:44 AM »
Ailish has found an advantage of these over-planned events, thinking isn't a necessity. She's been led here and taken there, even the food appears, though now everything she eats will be tasted. If it has been previously, she's unaware.

What she is aware of is the Duchess looking about for someone who isn't her. Is it Lady Banik? The other woman is fairly easy to spot. The priestess?  Ailish hasn't seen her since this morning.

Lost in looking about the room, she's a moment before realizing the the Duchess, her wife, is now speaking to her. Dancing would be expected. "Yes, of course."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:09:17 AM »
The food had been tested for the past year, it was a thing since people decided to start threatening Ailla more, and then Ailish. Mostly they stayed out of sight, but here it was unavoidable. The food was good, though, when Ailla could get at it.

Ailish looks a bit lost, and Ailla wished she knew the best way, or, hell, any way to fix it for her but not knowing what was wrong, other than apparently a growing distaste for Ailla herself, Ailla didn't know how to fix it. She stands, straightening out the creases in her dress and then offers her bride her hand. Ailla glanced over to Mel who only seemed to be drinking and sighed. Happy, happy day.

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 11:23:37 AM »
Ailish stands the same moment as the Duchess, and takes the offered hand, to be led out to the dance floor. She's stopped for a brief second, by the train of her dress, and getting it tied up, to stop her from tripping. She's nervous enough, so she's afraid she might.

While not distaste, more hurt, the longer it festers, the stronger it is. With the hollowness of Lady Banik's words of greeting: Ailish is having difficulty believing anyone's words, even when it was announced they were officially married. That sense of finality came this morning.

"Everything's gone smoothly. People seem to be enjoying themselves."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
Ailla didn't reply until they started dancing, easily twirling in her own long dress as if it was a part of herself, smiling happily, anyway. In spite of the grim mood. 'You don't seem to be enjoying yourself, you seem to have found some reason to dislike me, though I don't blame you... you didn't have to marry me if that's what it was about this morning... I.' sigh.

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »
"I don't-" Ailish stops herself. There she is answering questions again, and she needs to stop that. It must sound like she's always explaining herself to the people here, who keep so much from everyone.

Looking to her left, then right, then back again, she feels she's being watched. It's the sense of those watching, waiting for something, but she doesn't know what.

"I was surprised the ceremony happened at all, given the objections."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »
'...Why would you be surprised? Of course it happened, I didn't ask your family here only to humiliate you. I had hoped to give you the best of weddings, since life around here is... less than pleasant. And I know the city isn't really your style, and I want so much for you to be happy though I seem to have upset that somehow today and I'm really not sure how... but I'm sorry.' it was all whispered against her ear, so earnest. In spite of her own lack of desire to marry she had wanted to make this the best day of Ailish's life to this point, yet, per usual, she seemed to have ruined it in some fashion.

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
"Please don't do that," it's whispered as well. Anyone, who didn't know the women might think they were whispering sweet nothings. Then again, Ailish hasn't made a secret of her affection. The reminder of that, and what a fool she's been, helps shore her up.

"The court has had their spectacle. I will be obedient and follow your lead, as any wife in my position should. Please do not treat me like a pet, to be given some attention, petting, and a good day out, to keep me content. If I found pleasure in today, you'd find humour in it, to be shared as an anecdote." The way one would tell stories of a pet, or a child, believing them incapable of understanding the humour, thus not expecting any offense at the embarrassment.

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 02:24:03 PM »
'...What?' that stops Ailla dead in he tracks and she legs go of Ailish entirely like she's been burned. 'What has gotten into you? I suppose you won't tell me, though. You are not a pet, I sought to make you happy because that is what a decent person does not because I want to giggle about you later.'

She looks shocked, hurt, and more than any of that, deeply confused. 'Enjoy the night with your family, then.' She? She is going anywhere else but here. As quickly as she can go without causing too much stir, making an excuse about needing to change into a lighter dress, which most of the courtiers understand.

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 12:27:37 AM »
Ailish watches, in such surprise, that while Ailla's excuse may be believed, Ailish's face contradicts it.

She stands about foolishly for a minute, as though she expects Ailla to come back. The one time she stands up for herself and Ailla wants nothing to do with her. Apparently, Ailla wishes this child to be seen and not heard.

Offline Atherton Torray

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 12:38:24 AM »
"That was certainly dramatically anti-climatic." Quite the oxymoron. Holding out his hand, he asks, "May I have this dance, my lady."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:45:03 AM by Atherton Torray »

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 01:04:45 AM »
"Yes, sir," it's an automatic agreement from Ailish, as at least dancing gives her something to do. Cautiously, she puts her hand in his.

Manners, despite her upset, she musters them up, "Have you enjoyed the day?" Someone should.

Offline Atherton Torray

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 01:47:42 AM »
"Oh, yes I have." His smile unfurling quite like the cat with the cream, yet that managed to be on prowl for something else. Perhaps a nice big rat to brush that down. It was difficult not to be amused by watching everyone try and pretend that things weren't tugged at the seams, to be gently shredded by their feeble attempts to pretend that all was functioning. And it wasn't as straight-forward as Atherton finding joy over this entire wedding falling very obviously to the pits to his eyes (he knew Ailla and Mel better than they'd like, Ailla especially; it had fallen to the pits). It was just hard not to smile with how they enjoyed fooling themselves. Ailla was spinning out of control. Melisande seemed deceive herself into thinking she had more in control than she truly did. Jael seemed not to want any thing to do with any of it, if her lack of appearance was anything to go buy - and if she, or they, thought it would go unnoticed then they were sorely mistaken. And this one ... he had yet to put his finger on this one and her part, her want for the piece of the pie. However, Atherton was starting to wonder if he'd underestimated her and her innocence. The way she'd had his cousin skipping out of her own wedding ceremony, with no desire to even fake it as she had been, had to be orchestrated.

Unless it was the work of Ailla's 'woe is me' tendencies again. Atherton didn't like to think he'd miss a potential ally, one that went deeper than keeping him in favor in this castle.

"Apologise if I am stepping out of bounds, it's been established that I've that tendency around you, but I must say you do not seem to be."

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 02:24:31 AM »
"Today is hectic, despite everything being planned down to the second." Ailish takes the briefest glance at her feet, to be sure they're doing the right thing.

"You have the luxury of enjoying the party, and only that. I have a marriage to consider once the party is over." That, though vague, is absolutely truthful. There isn't much point in lying. If he knows Ailla as well as she's heard, there's no point in attempting deception. Ailish never suspected it from Ailla, which makes Ailish look all the more a fool.

Offline Atherton Torray

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 02:41:50 AM »
For a moment Atherton feels that she is going to be evasive and he doesn't bother hiding his surprise when she isn't, though it is not an obvious thing. "Only that?" He asks in mild surprise, then contemplates, thoughtfully an expression comes to his face. "An unhappy marriage makes for an unhappy people." He states. Surely she knows that. Of course, he won't have the worry that she does. However, he has worries. More personal ones than she would ever recognize, but he also had the worries of the people of court. When a marriage wasn't a unit, it left the dilemma of who to support. Who's favor to seek after. Such things might seem petty but those were the beginnings of internal politics, of a fracture that he was sure that Ailish wouldn't care for. And quite frankly neither did he ... yet. He might not want women in power but his allies were female, or brothers of powerful females, if they were in a disarray then he was in trouble. Their attentions would, rightfully he could admit, turn to solving their troubles and far from considering his propositions and ideas. "We all have your marriage to consider when the party is over." He deliberately stated that although his tone is casual. She needs to understand that.

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 02:53:36 AM »
"There is a great deal to a marriage, to label it only that." The idea is almost humorous.

At this moment, supporting one side or the other would be a moot point to Ailish. She will be such a political non-entity. "My marriage will hardly affect the court after today, everyone needs not worry on that front."

She may be little to Ailla, but that also means she won't be a weapon.

Offline Melisande Banik

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 02:56:13 AM »
Before her dance with Torin, and subsequent own self-removal from the party, Melisande was just making her way from dancing with a portly lady with grabby hands and who pinched. There was some days that she hated these events and today she was less so in the desire to put up with them. She made her way to the side to catch a breather and get over the desire to shudder. Mel plucked a cup of wine away from a servants tray. She stood there for a moment, hopefully blending into the shadow, not quite aware that she was losing the ability to care with each passing second (possibly), when she heard Jael approach before she saw her. "Are you hoping to be incognito?" She murmured very softly, tone light.

Offline Jael

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 02:58:24 AM »
"Only from those who don't know me." Jael took in the flushed cheeks and glass of wine. There were so many, many things terrible about this day. And Mel seemed to be sipping them away. Jael envied her a little, perhaps even more than a little. She was very tempted to steal that wine. "Is it working for you?"

Offline Atherton Torray

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 03:06:20 AM »
"I meant in reply to your previous statement, my lady." Her unaware statement. "That my own concerns commenced with enjoyment and ceased to exist at the celebration's close."

She is the duchess' wife her partner and blessed as such in the eyes of the goddesses. Even if Ailla proceeded to wish to treat Ailish as a lapdog, she would then be the blessed lapdog, still not something for others to trifle with, still with more power than most in court. Still to be used as a weapon. The position of power was always a weapon, always a tool. This is less about sides Ailish would support but sides that would support her.  Ailish's continued belief that she had no importance or matter in things, politically if not emotionally, would cause problems ... unless it was deliberate. Atherton really wondered if the rumors were true after all. That the Lady Baniks were tugging things to set up to fall. Because with that view, if it was genuine, Ailish could easily drag down a successful dynasty from an undesired, likely well-meaning, mishap.  "Unless you are wishing to dissolve the marriage, simply by it existing your marriage has already commenced to affect the court." And even if that were the case the speculation, the uncertainty of what to do next would cause some sort of affect. "Is that what occurred? You have decided to have enough of my cousins childishness and she could not stand to hear the truth? She is quite poor with that."

Offline Melisande Banik

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 03:08:18 AM »
"I'm still here aren't I?" It was hard to tell if that was meant to be a jibe. Because it was the truth. She was. She had been there from the beginning, dressed as herself, Jael hadn't been. There was a pinch of Mel's mouth, that said even if she hadn't meant it as one, she recognize that it could be and she wouldn't be taking it back. "It must be."

Offline Ailish Argall

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 07:00:27 AM »
"And what concerns might you have. Hopefully I can-" the sentence goes unfinished. Ailish looks around the room hoping amongst hope Ailla had returned.

"Dissolution?  Why suggest such a thing?" Marriage is lifelong in Ailish's eyes. There hasn't been a dissolution of a marriage in her family for 2 centuries at least.

"And that is not what happened at all." Not realizing, by that admission, something had happened. "And the Duchess is not childish," not that she's seen, though it's been well kept from her.

Offline Jael

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 09:10:34 AM »
"You're going to be ill." Jael took and accepted it as the insult intended. She deserved it. This was not the imagined way this day should have gone, not by any means. She doubted any of them had any actual idea how this was to go. They were all just moving forward like they had no other choice.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:21:32 AM by Jael »

Offline Melisande Banik

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 09:23:54 AM »
"You say that as if I do not know how to hold my wine. And with such certainty. I will be fine." She says with more so, certainty that is. "Why did you return?"

Offline Jael

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
"You're going to be ill," Jael repeated with a very small, but very real hint of a smirk. Mel could hold her wine when she paid attention to how many cups she had been through. There was a very real possibility she had not yet started to count. She would find something for her head, leave it on her bedside for the morning. It was as much an apology as a plea for forgiveness.

"I promised Ailla I would be here." The simple truth was often not the easiest. That she was here at all was a surprise. "I am not going to start breaking those promises I made now."

* Forum Staff

Nashira admin Nashira
Site Creator

* Recently...

No posts were found.