Welcome :D

Features:

No Word Count ♦ Multiple App Choices ♦ Subaccounts ♦ Many Species ♦ Room to Expand ♦

Staff

Nashira - Site Creator.
Contact via PM or AIM: erilearp.

You can have multiple tab contents on the same page, with only one copy of the CSS and JavaScript files.
You can also open a tab from a link anywhere on the page.

Open Tab 2.

You can also open a tab from a link anywhere on the page.

Open Tab 2.

Information Menu

Author Topic: [Private] The promise of hope  (Read 4776 times)

Description: For Jael

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
[Private] The promise of hope
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:04:35 AM »
It was still dark outside, unable to find good rest even after a happier night with her bride-to-be than the morning before Ailla had slipped free of the castle and walked through the dark all but abandoned streets on her own, wrapped in a cloak and what barely countered as underclothes beneath, though the dress stretched past her knees. She came bearing gifts, too. A small deer, captured but living and trinkets of gold, silver, gems.

Once inside the great stone walls, a novice took her cloak from her, her boots and her bare feet padded lightly along the cool tiled floor, gifts in tow. She felt so small here, inside of the temple. The statues of the goddesses loomed tall and brilliant, even in the almost darkness. Candles lined the walls the closer she walked inside, the hushed sound of Priestesses and cloth over the tile loomed from the darkness. She stood. Waiting. Closed her eyes and stroked the head of the skittish animal beside her who seemed almost calmed by the statues as Ailla had always been previous. Now she felt unnerved. But she waited, it was not her place to seek, they would come to her in good time. She hoped.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:04:56 AM by Ailla Voss »

Offline Jael

• Human
    • View Profile
Re: The promise of hope
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
Jael knew Ailla was within the walls of the temple the moment her feet touched the floor. Her body startled out of slumber before her sluggish mind could catch up. She dressed only in a robe, covering her night dress and bared skin from the crisp night air. She had expected Ailla to come. She hadn't expected her to come so late at night.

The cavernous halls of the temple echoed with each of her hurried footsteps. It hardly mattered how quiet she was being, as long as she reached Ailla first. Having returned earlier that day, Jael had spent hours in prayer, more a precaution than a gut need, but the reassurance flowed sweetly through her that Ailla was not the one at fault. Ailla was not being rejected. The overwhelming need for caution persisted though, to let Ailla be alone with the other priestesses so soon after the first scare. Jael never wanted this place to be seen as a source of fear for her friend again.

She waited for the young novice to disappear with Ailla's cloak before stepping out from between two statues and touching her shoulder. "Ailla."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 12:06:01 AM »
The deer startled, but Ailla didn't, she turned her head  just enough to be sure it was Jael, then turned completely to face her and wrapped her arms around her friend. 'I didn't mean for you to be woken. I couldn't sleep, so I took early breakfast.' but if anyone could track her movements better than the other nobles, it was the temple. Though in truth she hadn't expected for Jael to come to her, the higher priestesses often insisted on being her guide instead.

That didn't make Ailla want to move from her, though, and she happily buried her face against her friend. The temple was cooler than the castle, which normally was warmed by fires on the cooler nights and mornings, though cold days were rare. The temple seemed to breathe in all the cold, though, before the sun rose. 'I am glad to see you, though.'
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:15:59 AM by Nashira »

Offline Jael

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 08:53:15 AM »
Jael welcomed the hug, clutching Ailla close and kissing her hair. She wanted to reassure her that waking early was the least of the problems she was about to face. It took a certain amount of strength to not usher Ailla immediately to her bed chambers and force her to sleep. A little sleep would do a world of good, but she knew her friend as well as she ever knew anyone, and she wouldn't be so easily deterred.

"I won't let them have you alone today."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:11:15 PM »
'But what if the gods will it?' she asked, pulling back and frowning. Jael was so ready to believe good of Ailla, it seemed, yet Ailla wasn't. She was only mortal, and mortals were surely more prone to displeasing the gods, perhaps more even than they actually knew.

In the safety of Jael's arms she always felt warmer, saner. Like she was given something no one could steal from her. She sighed softly against her friends throat. 'What if it is willed, what do I do?' she was so afraid of how little her life might actually be worth, her being. How little use she may well be where her sister had been what they wanted.

Offline Jael

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 03:21:58 PM »
"They have no more influence here than any other place. They guide and coerce, but they cannot force a person." Jael would rather defame the Goddess of her temple before she let Ailla be alone with the other priestesses. Until she found out which spread the malicious lies to her friends ears, it would not happen. "That is what our souls are for. So we can make our own decisions and bear the gifts and burdens of those."

She stroked Ailla's hair and pressed a kiss to her temple. "You are stronger than them. Your faith is more pure. You will know what to do, if something bars me from joining you today."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »
'But my life is not just my own, I doubt my soul is, either.' she belonged to the people more than herself, since her sister died. before that she had been her own, and since then there had been echoes of it but nothing like she had before, not really. Especially not with Melisande and half a dozen others berating her lack of propriety among other sins.

She was content against Jael, safe. She wished she could stay there forever. 'What would bar you from coming with me?'

Offline Jael

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »
"The moment you stop thinking and feeling is the moment you need to be most concerned." Jael's fingers glided slowly through Ailla's red hair as she spoke. "You would not be able to even contemplate having one, let alone not. You're very much yourself."

She was just terribly lost. It made Jael tired to think about, and there was very little time spent when she was not thinking of ways to cure Ailla of her demons. "There are many who don't like how close I am to you, and there are many doors here that do not unlock from the inside."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »
'Then the simple solution is to not let go,' any other time she might sound teasing, but in truth she's deeply earnest, as if this could sincerely be the solution to all her problems, especially her being barred from Jael who felt, as much as anyone could like part of her own body, her person, a limb she would be hard pressed to live without.

'You are meant to be close to me, you were picked to be our connection of the temple when the elder who is that now passes.' Though in truth, she had been Ailla's connection ever since they met, and her interest in other Priestesses was strictly religious while she loved Jael, would surely have thought of marrying her if it was the sort of thing Ailla would even think could occur.

Offline Jael

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 07:25:03 AM »
'I won't leave you, Ailla.' Truly. Ever. Jael didn't dwell often upon her past beyond the point she met Ailla, but when she did, it was easy to see how important it was to keep her. She never spoke about it out loud, letting her actions speak louder than words, but now seemed a time she might have to, to keep Ailla calm.

'You shouldn't have to fear this place.' She shouldn't have to fear anything at all.

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »
'I'm not so afraid when you're near,' which was true. It wasn't so much that Jael was her safety planet, or a need for protection was it was the comfort Jael provided merely by standing beside Ailla. The comfort and strength and realisation that she wasn't alone. Mel could be like that, too, in some things, but it wasn't quite the same.

'Should I seek out the others?'

Offline Jael

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 09:38:06 AM »
"If word hasn't already spread throughout the temple, I would." The chances of that being very low, in Jael's estimation. The only thing keeping the other women away was that Jael was standing there, and even that simple shield wouldn't hold forever. "They would not be expecting you back here so soon."

Offline Ailla Voss

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
'That or they intended me to come back, all along,' it's not that she doubts the priestesses so much, but if what Jael says is truth then the gods hadn't abandoned her, and it all makes no good sense. She frowns.

Offline Jael

• Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 01:04:48 PM »
"If that were true, they would have tried harder to make amends with you yesterday. They would need you to trust them completely and utterly with no room for doubt. If they hoped you would seek them out so soon, there would have been no hesitation in them coming out to speak with you now."

What they were doing remained an irritating mystery. Jael's first assumption was causing a rift between her and Ailla, but there were other, less improbable ways to do so.

* Forum Staff

Nashira admin Nashira
Site Creator

* Recently...

No posts were found.